We just got back from an amazing vacation. Avery went to Nana's house in Oklahoma for a week while Jason and I went to San Francisco & Napa Valley. The weather was amazing the entire trip and I'm pretty certain Napa Valley just took over Las Vegas for my favorite US city/region.
San Francisco - Day 1: We were ultimate tourists on this trip, which was fun. When we arrived I surprised Jason by renting a Go Car to drive around the city. It was both fun and stressful cruising this toy around. San Fran. people are serious about their pedestrian crosswalks! The Go Car is programed with a GPS tour that takes you around the city.
| Pretty sure we looked like dorks, but I didn't care. |
Before dinner we had beers at Mikkeller's then walked through Chinatown. I was not overly impressed with it; New York's is much better. However, it was 6:00 p.m. on a Sunday so that could have something to do with it.
We had a nice French dinner at a neighborhood gem in Cow Hollow called Baker Street Bistro. Small but yummy. It had been a long two days of travel (IAH-OKC-SFO + early flights, lots of luggage, car seat, stroller & time change) so we went to bed early that night.
Day 2: What's more touristy than riding bikes across the Golden Gate Bridge? Maybe touring Alcatraz, but that is next. Monday morning we got up early and rented bikes. The weather could not have been more beautiful. I was afraid I was going to be cold crossing over the bridge, but it wasn't too bad. We rode from Fisherman's Wharf, over Golden Gate into Sausalito. The entire trip, including lunch in Sausalito, took about 3.5 hours. We had a delicious lunch at Napa Burger Co. in Sausalito. Highly recommend if you're craving a good burger and beer.
After our bike ride we went to International Orange Spa for massages then a drink at a bar in Pacific Heights. Dinner was at Wayfare Tavern in the Financial District and it was yummy. I'm going to say that about all of our meals on this trip through. Fried chicken, mac n' cheese and delicous wine.
Day 3: Alcatraz! This was very educational. I really only knew Alcatraz as a prison but it was so much more. I couldn't imagine how awful a place that would have been. And cold....I hate the cold.
After Alcatraz we walked Embarcadaro, did a little shopping then headed to the crappiest Stadium on earth, Candlestick Park, to watch the USA soccer match. It was a great game although a bit cold. We had a blast though and it got us ramped up for the World Cup that is just around the corner.
| USA! USA! USA! |
Day 4: Heaven - I mean Napa Valley. We stayed in the quiet town of Yountville which is about 5 miles north of Napa. The first day we visited Shafer and had dinner at Tra Vigne (again...amazing).
Day 5: We hired a driver and he took us to 4 vineyards (Tom Scott, Plumpjack, Pride & Fantesca) and 1 tasting room (Vine Cliff). His name was Barry and he was great to spend the day with. He also documented the day with his camera which was a nice touch. If you're planning a visit to Napa, give Barry a call.
![]() |
| With our host, Andrea, at Fantesca |
| In the caves at Pride |
Our last day on the trip we visited the Orin Swift tasting room in St. Helena, then lunch at Morimoto's in Napa, a tasting at Ma(i)sonary in Yountville and probably my most favorite meal of the entire trip, Bouchon.
Visiting Napa was an incredible vacation and one I hope to do many times again. I have always loved wine, but now I have a better understanding and appreciation for it (and maybe a little more expensive palate). Jason and I were fortunate enough to visit two vineyards that are not open to the public but we were invited to thanks to my bosses who spend way too much money on wine. All the vineyards were amazing, but hands down the one-on-one with Tom & Lauren Scott at Tom Scott Vineyard was awesome.
Meanwhile in Oklahoma....Avery was eating cookies, ice cream, Cheetos, pizza and maybe an apple sauce here and there. Avery was working Nana. Nana had this wonderful week of meals planned for Little A., but she quickly learned Avery hates vegetables and trying anything new so she gave into Avery's demands. That's okay though, that is what you're supposed to do when visiting grandparents.
Avery and Nana visited the water park, rode the train at the park, fed the ducks, baked cookies and spent lots of time outside so Avery could drive her car. Avery also spent time with Coco (aunt Carla) who gave her the car and her first experience with silly string.
| That's my Raggedy Ann doll from when I was a little girl My Cabbage Patch too, but Avery removed the clothes. |
| Stlyin' |
| Chillin' at Coco's |
Thank you Nana for taking such great care of Avery and allowing us to take an adult vacation. Let us know when you're rested enough to watch her again.



No comments:
Post a Comment